Assigning a Desktop to a User
You can choose which type of desktop to assign to a user or group in the Assignments window. You can use the Assignments window to create, edit, and delete an assignment, and update the agent software for any existing assignments.
1 Navigate to the Assignments Window
- In the Horizon Cloud Administration Console, select Assign.
- In the Assignments window, click New.
2 Start Creating a New Assignment
- In the New Assignment page under Desktops, click Select.
- Note: You would select Applications if you wanted to assign AppStacks or RDSH applications. For this example, a desktop is assigned.
3 Assign a Floating Desktop
- On the Assign Desktops page, select Floating to define the desktop type.
- Dedicated: Assigns the user to a specific, persistent VDI desktop every time the user logs in.
- Floating: Assigns the user to any available non-persistent VDI desktop, which multiple users can use at different times and resets after each user session. This desktop type is required when using an instant clone.
- Session: Assigns the user to a personal, non-persistent RDSH published desktop shared across multiple users.
4 Select the Fixed Attributes
- In the Desktop Model menu, select Premium.
- Click Details to view the resource specifications of the model. In the above example, the desktop model has 8 GB of vRAM and four vCPUs.
Note: In the Fixed Attributes section, you can choose from several types of desktop models with various compute, storage, and feature resources. The desktop model determines how the computers are provisioned. For more information, see the Service Description: VMware Horizon Cloud Service with Hosted Infrastructure.
5 Select the Flexible Attributes
- Scroll to Flexible Attributes.
- Define how the user connects to a desktop. You can change this information at any time:
- Image: Select the image created earlier from the drop-down menu.
- Assignment Name: Enter the assignment name.
- Default Protocol: Select either BLAST or PCoIP. This example uses Blast.
- Preferred Client Type: Select either Browser or Horizon Client. This example uses Browser.
- Capacity: Select the capacity up to the maximum remaining available. This example shows 58 remaining.
6 Select the Advanced Properties
- At the bottom of the Flexible Attributes section, click Advanced Properties, an option to configure additional desktop assignment parameters.
- Set the following advanced properties:
- VM Names: Accept the default VM name that you created earlier.
Computer OU: Leave blank. This indicates the Active Directory (AD) Organizational Unit where VMs are located, such as
- Run Once Script: Leave blank. This indicates the location of scripts that run after system preparation completes.
- Session Timeout Interval: Accept the default. This sets the amount of time users can have an idle session before the system forces a log off, which would result in the loss of unsaved data.
- Enable Windows Hot-Plug: Accept the default. If enabled, this allows users to add or remove a device such as a NIC or disk, which can interfere with connectivity if done improperly.
- Click Next.
7 Assign the Desktops to the User
- Verify that you are in the Users tab.
- In the Active Directory Search field, enter the user name to assign the desktop to. As you enter, the list appears.
- From the list, select the user groups to assign the desktop. You can select multiple users and groups. In this example, only one user group is selected.
8 Verify the Selected User
- In Selected Users/User Groups, confirm that the correct user(s) or group(s) are listed.
- Click Next.
9 Submit the Desktop Assignment
- In the Summary tab, review the settings you entered.
- When you are ready, click Submit.
Note: You must wait until the creation process is complete before you proceed. This process can take several minutes. You might need to refresh your browser periodically to expedite the process.
10 Verify the Desktop Assignment
- On the Assignments page, confirm that the desktop was created.
- Verify that the desktop assignment has a status of green.
After you finish assigning a desktop to the user, proceed to the next exercise to launch the desktop from a browser.