Screensteps Best Practices
1. Best practices while creating manuals
- Use templates for adding user, device enrollment, enterprise wipe etc.
- Currently investigating ways to refer the templates in the manuals dynamically..
- Use the auto-numbering feature in Screensteps to number primary steps and sub-steps.
- If you are not sure whether to keep a certain step or not, move that step to an unpublished article.
- Think about introduction/ description at the beginning of each article if applicable. Add topologies and architecture diagrams wherever applicable.
2. Standardizing Terms
3. Fonts, Sizes etc.
- Take screenshots from the resolution = 1024 * 768
- Red Box color = Web Safe Colors - #FF0000
- Red box width = 4
- Red box curvature index = 13
- No Drop Shadows for Red boxes.
- Numbers width = 3
- Enable Drop Shadows for numbers.
- Image text fields font = Helvetica.
- Max Image size = 256 KB. (NOTE - Use https://tinypng.com/ to compress images if needed.)
- Description font and size = Screensteps default.
4. Screenstep Image Sample Image #1
- Dark Red boxes (Web Safe Colors - #FF0000).
- Numbers on the right hand side – either on the same level or at the top right corner.
- Crop the image only to focus on the are of interest (i.e. no full screenshot).
- Align red boxes on the right hand side wherever applicable.
- Align numbers wherever applicable. (NOTE - Select Cntrl click and allign).
- If we are navigating away from the screen, create a new step and take additional screenshot.
5. Screenstep Image Sample Image #2
- All the passwords should be VMware1!. (NOTE - Don't give them choice).
- Passwords (and all the entries in the textboxes) should be included in the screenshot itself.
- Every number in the screenshot must have respective number in the step description.
- In the description, all the “keyboard entries” should be be bold and in double quotes (e.g. “VMware1!” in the screenshot).
- All the labels i.e. Button Clicks, Radio buttons, Close Window (X), Checkboxes.
- Other text styles (e.g. NOTES, WARNINGS) should be in bolds and italics with the words NOTES and WARNINGS in UPPER CASE while descriptions should be in bold and italics.
- Scroll bars should have boxes around them with an arrow indicating the direction of the scroll. Create a new step (i.e. a new number in the screenshot and description) for this.
- Use the following terms: Select/ unselect – Radio Buttons, Click – Buttons, Check/ Uncheck – check boxes, Tap – touch screen inputs on the device.