Internal App Deployment
Use Workspace ONE UEM to distribute, track, and manage your internal applications. These are applications built in-house and not hosted on Public App Stores. You can upload the application files directly to WOrkspace ONE console for deployment. However, if you use an external repository to host your internal applications, then you can easily integrate that host with Workspace ONE UEM, instead of migrating the entire catalog to Workspace ONE UEM.
Supported File types for different platforms:
|macOS||APP Package Bundles|
|Windows Desktop||APPX, EXE, MSI, ZIP|
|Windows Phone||APPX, XAP|
Once the application is installed, you can track the installation status and reason codes in case of failures.
1. Upload Internal Application with a Local File
In this section, you are going to add an iPA file to AirWatch console as an internal iOS app.
1.1. Add Internal Application
In the Workspace ONE UEM console,
- Click on Add
- Click Internal Application
1.3. Choose File
Click Choose File.
1.4. Navigate to the iPA file
- Click on Downloads
- Select AppLifecycle_101.ipa
- Click Open
1.6. Continue After Uploading IPA
1.7. Application Details
- Click the Details tab if it is not already selected.
- Notice how Workspace ONE UEM can parse the Application bundle ID from the IPA File. All the application versioning within the Workspace ONE UEM Console is based on the Application ID.
- Notice how Workspace ONE UEM can also parse the Application Version number from the IPA File.
Categories are useful to group the apps so that they are easy to find from the catalog.
Internal app version for iOS is determine by CFBundleVersion and CFBuildShortVersionString from info.plist
1.8. Additional Application Details
- Scroll down on the Details page.
- Select Category Productivity (System). Categorizing apps allows you to filter them later in the Workspace ONE UEM Console or App Catalog.
- You can also change the minimum OS requirement to be able install this app. For this lab, we are going to keep this value to default iOS 9.0.0.
- Click on Save & Assign.
2. Add an Assignment to the Internal Application
We will now configure which devices will receive the internal application.
2.1. Add Assignment
Click Add Assignment.
2.2. Add Delivery method
- All app assignments in Workspace ONE UEM are done via Assignment Groups. These assignment groups can be created by specifying different filter criteria on your devices and/or users. For this lab we are going to select our default group All Devices.
- Your App Delivery method can be Auto where the application is installed automatically to the enrolled device. For this exercise, you are going to select On Demand to see how can we download these apps from Workspace ONE App Catalog instead.
- You can also select the Deployment Begin Date for a particular app assignment. If you select a date in future, the app will not be available for download until that time. For this lab, we are going to keep the default value, which should reflect the current date.
2.3. Enable Remove on Unenroll
- Scroll down until you see the Policies section.
- Select Enable for Remove on Unenroll.
- Click on Add to continue.
By enabling this option, you are flagging this app to be removed when the device is un-enrolled after this lab is ended. You will have the same configuration for all the apps that we are going to deploy in this lab. You would enable this flag if you want to un-install the app so that the app data is not leaked when an employee leaves the organization or when the device is lost or stolen.
2.4. Save & Publish
Click on Save & Publish to continue.
Preview which devices fall under the All Devices assignment group and will have access to download this app. Click Publish to continue.
3. Provisioning Profiles for Enterprise Distribution
- Click Apps & Books.
- Expand Applications.
- Click Native.
- Click the Internal tab.
- Validate that you have the application uploaded with the name as AppLifecycle.
- In the Version column, you will see the version as 1.0.1.
- In the column Renewal Date, you will see when the provisioning profile is going to expire for this particular app.
You can renew this provisioning profile from the Workspace ONE UEM console (via the Application Details > Files menu), without having to rebuild and re-upload the app to the Workspace ONE UEM console. This simplifies the recurring task of profile renewal, without any intervention from App Developers and any interruption on the end user devices.
For this exercise, we are not going to renew the provisioning profile of this app.