Prerequisites for SaaS and On-premises Deployments
Before creating provisioning packages, you must meet the Dell Provisioning for VMware Workspace ONE requirements.
- Workspace ONE UEM 9.7 and later
- Workspace ONE UEM Admin Account
- Install the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service (On-premises Deployments)
- Validate using a Windows 10 Professional/Enterprise device (physical or virtual machine)
Dell Provisioning for VMware Workspace ONE requires enabling some of the following components depending on your deployment type: Software Distribution, File Storage, and a CDN. Refer to the table for which components are required based on your deployment.
- Enable a content distribution network. For more information, see Configure Akamai in Workspace ONE UEM Console.
- Enable Software Distribution. For more information on configuring Software Distribution, see Software Distribution of Win32 Applications.
- SaaS customers must contact VMware for assistance enabling Software Distribution.
- Enable File Storage with sufficient storage space for apps. For more information, see File Storage.
1. Install the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service
Note: This section has no impact on the Hands-on Lab, but is a walk through of the steps required for installing the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service for on-premises customers. If you wish to skip this section, click here to continue to the FAQs.
The Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning service enables exporting of applications from Workspace ONE UEM console (version 9.7 or later) into a Windows Provisioning Package (.ppkg) for offline provisioning of Windows devices. This service must be installed and configured in order to use Dell Provisioning for VMware Workspace ONE.
The Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service is installed by default on SaaS hosted deployments, however for on-premises customers you must first download and install the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service. Outside of the Hands-on Labs, you can download the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service from the My Workspace ONE Resources Portal here.
By default, you will want to install the Factory Provisioning Service on the Workspace ONE UEM Console server to match the default configured site URL. Let's step through how to install the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service.
1.1. Return to the Main Console Virtual Machine (IF NEEDED)
If you are still connected to the Win10-01a virtual machine, click the X on the remote desktop connection bar to return to the Main Console Virtual Machine.
1.2. Launch the VMware Factory Provisioning Service Installer
- Click the File Explorer icon.
- Click Documents.
- Click HOL.
- Click Factory Provisioning.
- Double-click WorkspaceONE Factory Provisioning Service.exe.
1.3. Welcome Screen
1.4. Accept the License Agreement
- Click I accept the terms in the license agreement.
- Click Next.
1.5. Choose the Destination Folder
The default install location is
C:\AirWatch\. Click Next.
1.6. Wait for Missing Roles to Install
Note: The installer may appear unresponsive for a few minutes while installing any missing roles. Please do not click Next multiple times!
Wait for any missing roles or features to install. Once these roles and features are installed, continue to the next step.
1.7. Ready to Install the Program
1.8. Successfully Completed
You have successfully installed the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service! Now let's ensure it is properly running and take a look at the logging locations.
2. Validating Factory Provisioning Service and Logging Locations
The installation log for the Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service is located in the same directory as the setup executable. If the setup fails view this log for more details.
2.1. Task Manager
- Right-click the taskbar.
- Click Task Manager.
- Click Services.
- Ensure the AirWatchFactoryProvisioningService is Running.
2.3. Factory Provisioning Service Log
- Return to the File Explorer.
- Click Main Console.
- Click Local Disk (C:).
- Click AirWatch.
- Click Factory Provisioning Service.
- Click Services.
- Click Logs.
- AW.FactoryProvisioning.Service.log is the log which contains all of the details of the actions taken by the Factory Provisioning Service. You will notice a log entry which states it created the C:\AirWatch\ProvisioningPackaging directory.