Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure Overview
The VMware Horizon® Cloud Service™ delivers feature-rich virtual desktops and applications using a purpose-built cloud platform that is scalable across multiple deployment options, including fully managed infrastructure from VMware and public cloud infrastructure from Microsoft Azure.
Horizon Cloud Service
The Horizon Cloud Service supports a cloud-scale architecture that makes it easy to deliver virtualized Windows desktops and applications to any device, anytime. With a flexible subscription model, organizations can easily get up and running at scale quickly.
Horizon Cloud on Azure
When running VMware Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure, you gain the functionality of the Horizon Cloud Service control plane with the cost-saving capacities of Microsoft Azure. Providing the capability to run Microsoft Windows 10 VDI desktops and RDS-enabled Windows servers for session-based desktops and remote applications. Benefits Include:
- Automated deployment of the Horizon Cloud service components into your Microsoft Azure infrastructure.
- Single instance to manage deployments across Microsoft’s 50+ global data center regions including support for Azure China, Azure Germany, and Azure Government.
- Horizon Cloud Service is always maintained at the latest versions with self-scheduled, automated upgrades for components on Microsoft Azure.
- Horizon Cloud control plane is separate from the end user data path. This prevents unnecessary latency.
Use Cases Enabled by Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure
Use Cases Include:
- Desktop Replacement - Simplify physical PC replacement with a cloud based virtual desktop and application service.
- Mergers and Acquisitions - Quickly provision desktops and applications in the cloud in order to provide corporate resources.
- Contract and Temporary Employees - Reduce the CAPEX investment for short term or contract employees, while also securing sensitive corporate data using virtual desktops and applications.
- Seasonal Business - Scale the service up and down as needed based on the requirements of the business.
- High Availability - Deploy the service into multiple Microsoft Azure regions, providing virtual desktops applications from multiple locations.
- Disaster Recovery - Deploy virtual desktops and applications in the cloud in order to continue business operations when disaster strikes.
Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure Architecture
Here you see an overview of the system architecture of Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure. You will be reviewing many of these components through out this lab.
Horizon Cloud - Multi-Tenant Service
Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure is a multi-tenant cloud service offering control plane instances in the U.S., EMEA, and APJ. When an organization subscribes to the service, a tenant is created in the desired Horizon Cloud Control Plane. An organization can only be paired with one Horizon Cloud Control Plane instance at any given time. However, an organization can have multiple nodes spread globally across any of the Microsoft Azure data center regions, including Azure China, Azure Germany and Azure Government. With all instances being managed through a single user interface.
Horizon Cloud Service delivers virtual desktops and applications using a cloud platform that is scalable across multiple deployment options. Horizon Cloud Service is available in two subscription options:
- Per named user: For virtual environments with end users that require dedicated access to virtual machines throughout the day .
- Per concurrent connection: For virtual environments with a high number of users who share machines throughout the day, such as students or shift workers.
You have the option to purchase Horizon Cloud on Azure licenses through VMware or our partners.