Control Student Devices with Classroom App
This section is meant to give you a brief introduction to the Classroom application and its use within AirWatch School Manager. More details on the Classroom app can be found on Apple's support website: https://help.apple.com/classroom/ipad/1.1
1. Open Classroom App
Return to the Teacher iPad. On the Teacher iPad:
Tap the Classroom app to open it and click Continue at the Welcome Screen.
2. OPTIONAL: Configuration Invalid Error
If you receive a Configuration Invalid error message, you most likely have tried to open the Classroom application on the Student iPad.
- Click OK
- Swap iPads and restart this section at Open Classroom App from the TEACHER iPad.
3. Click Continue
Click Continue to launch the Classroom app.
4. Accept Notification Prompt (IF NEEDED)
You may see a prompt to allow notifications from Classroom app. Tap Allow if you get a prompt for Notifications.
5. Choose Class
Click on 1st Grade - Mr Jones
6. Explore Classroom Interface
Note the following areas of the Classroom app interface:
- Select -- allows you to select multiple devices (#5) in order to apply commands (#3) to simultaneously.
- Action Buttons -- The actions you can take against a group of devices (#4) or individual devices (#5)
- Device Groups -- Groupings of devices (can be one or more). Classroom includes an All group by default.
- Individual devices -- each device/user is shown in the classroom application.
7. Verify Student iPad Connectivity
- If your student iPad displays as Offline, click the hardware power button the iPad to power it on.
- You will see the status change to Home Screen (or whatever app is currently running in the foreground).
- Note that the iPad is now displayed on the Device Groups bar based on the currently running app.
8. Control Single iPad
- Click on the Student device. Note actions that are disabled - this functionality relates to Managed Apple IDs (requires Apple School Manager)
- Open allows you to open an application on the student iPad. NOTE - The app must already exist on the iPad.
- Navigate allows you to open a web location in Safari on the Student device.
- Lock allows you to put the device into a "locked" state (such as for "eyes up front").
- AirPlay allows you to force a device to send its screen to an AirPlay compatible device. You can populate the list of AirPlay destinations via an EMM Profile.
- Password allows you to reset the device password if one has been set.
- View Screen allows you to watch the screen on the device in real-time.
- When choosing an action, completion of the action will display a Done link to return you to main Classroom App screen.
- You can exit from the Actions list for a device by clicking outside the dialog screen.
9. Control Multiple Devices
- Select a Group from the list of Device Groups.
- Note that you can now take actions against the group, such as Open, Navigate, Lock, and Screen Viewing.
- Click Screens on the Teacher device.
- Note the icon for the student device in the Classroom app now displays the screen capture of the device. Also note on the student device that the status bar is now blue and there is also an airplay icon displayed.
- Click the Screens button to end screen viewing. Note the icon returns to normal in the Classroom app and the student device status bar returns to normal.