Android Enterprise Profiles
In this section, we are going to create Android for Work profiles to ensure proper usage of devices and protection of sensitive data. Profiles serve many different purposes, from letting you enforce corporate rules and procedures to tailoring and preparing Android for Work capable devices for how they will be used.
IMPORTANT - If your device is enrolled with Android for Work, then ONLY Android for Work profiles will take effect on the device, Android device profile will NOT take effect.
1. Verify Restrictions
Restrictions profiles provide a second layer of device data protection by allowing you to specify and control how, when and where your employees use their devices. The Restrictions profiles lock down native functionality of Android for Work devices and vary based on device enrollment.
1.1. Create a New Profile
Back in the AirWatch Console:
- Click Add
- Click Profile
1.2. Select the Android Platform
1.3. Select the Android for Work Configuration Type
Click Android for Work
NOTE - We are selecting the Android for Work configuration here because we want to modify the Android for Work functionality, apps, and restrictions on the enrolled device. If we wanted to modify the unbadged apps or base Android functionality, we would select 'Device' here instead.
1.4. Configure the General Settings
- Ensure the General payload is selected.
- Enter "AfW Restrictions" for the Name field.
- Click Assigned Groups to display the list of available assignments.
- Select All Devices
1.5. Configure Restrictions
- Click the Restrictions payload.
- Click Configure.
1.6. Configure Screen Capture Restrictions
Uncheck the Allow Screen Capture checkbox.
1.7. Configure Camera Restrictions
- Scroll down to find the Applications section.
- Uncheck the Allow Camera checkbox.
- Click Save & Publish
1.9. Verify the Android For Work Camera Restrictions
On your device, notice that after we push the profile your device will no longer have the badged camera application available but your personal side (unbadged) camera will still be available for usage. This shows the camera restriction that we applied on the AirWatch profile created previously.
NOTE - Due to lab network limitations, it may take a few minutes for the badged Camera application to be removed. If you still see it on your device, please wait until the application is successfully removed.
1.10. Screenshot in a non-badged app
- Open your non-badged Contacts apps.
- Take a screen shot (Power button and volume down / Power Button + Home Button at the same time for 2 seconds).
NOTE - The shortcut to change screenshot may vary depending on your device model. Please see a lab assistant in case assistance is required.
Notice that the screen shot was successful.
1.11. Verify the Android for Work Screenshot Restriction
- Open the badged Contacts app.
- Attempt taking a screen shot within the app and notice that it is not allowing you to take the screenshot and flashing a toast message depending on the device model and OS version.
This shows the screenshot restriction that we applied on the AirWatch profile created previously.