The Table of Contents can be accessed in the upper right-hand corner of the Lab Manual.
The Advanced AirWatch lab targets some of more advanced features such as active directory integration and certificate authority integration. AD integration allows the admin and end users to use their corporate AD credentials, without having to create local accounts in the AirWatch console. Certificate based authentication is not only one of the more secured forms of authentication but it also enables better end user experience on their mobile devices.
Each Module can be taken independently or you can start at the beginning and work your way through each module in sequence. In most cases, a unique "sandbox" instance of AirWatch will be created just for you when you begin a Module. When the Module has ended, this sandbox will be deleted and the device that you are enrolling in the lab will be returned to the state that it was in prior to the lab. The approximate time it will take to go through all the modules is around 1 hours.
Lab Module List:
- Module 1 - Advanced Workspace ONE UEM Configuration, AD Integration/Certificates (60 minutes) (Advanced) Integrate with your active directory and configure AirWatch to seamlessly integrate with certificate authority to distribute certificates for authentication.
- All modules: Roger Deane, Shardul Navare, Justin Sheets.
This lab manual can be downloaded from the Hands-on Labs Document site found here:
This lab may be available in other languages. To set your language preference and have a localized manual deployed with your lab, you may utilize this document to help guide you through the process:
Location of the Main Console
- The area in the RED box contains the Main Console. The Lab Manual is on the tab to the Right of the Main Console.
- A particular lab may have additional consoles found on separate tabs in the upper left. You will be directed to open another specific console if needed.
- Your lab starts with 90 minutes on the timer. The lab can not be saved. All your work must be done during the lab session. But you can click the EXTEND to increase your time. If you are at a VMware event, you can extend your lab time twice, for up to 30 minutes. Each click gives you an additional 15 minutes. Outside of VMware events, you can extend your lab time up to 9 hours and 30 minutes. Each click gives you an additional hour.
Alternate Methods of Keyboard Data Entry
During this module, you will input text into the Main Console. Besides directly typing it in, there are two very helpful methods of entering data which make it easier to enter complex data.
Click and Drag Lab Manual Content Into Console Active Window
You can also click and drag text and Command Line Interface (CLI) commands directly from the Lab Manual into the active window in the Main Console.
Accessing the Online International Keyboard
You can also use the Online International Keyboard found in the Main Console.
- Click on the Keyboard Icon found on the Windows Quick Launch Task Bar.
Click once in active console window
In this example, you will use the Online Keyboard to enter the "@" sign used in email addresses. The "@" sign is Shift-2 on US keyboard layouts.
- Click once in the active console window.
- Click on the Shift key.
Activation Prompt or Watermark
When you first start your lab, you may notice a watermark on the desktop indicating that Windows is not activated.
One of the major benefits of virtualization is that virtual machines can be moved and run on any platform. The Hands-on Labs utilizes this benefit and we are able to run the labs out of multiple datacenters. However, these datacenters may not have identical processors, which triggers a Microsoft activation check through the Internet.
Rest assured, VMware and the Hands-on Labs are in full compliance with Microsoft licensing requirements. The lab that you are using is a self-contained pod and does not have full access to the Internet, which is required for Windows to verify the activation. Without full access to the Internet, this automated process fails and you see this watermark.
This cosmetic issue has no effect on your lab.
Look at the lower right portion of the screen
Please check to see that your lab is finished all the startup routines and is ready for you to start. If you see anything other than "Ready", please wait a few minutes. If after 5 minutes you lab has not changed to "Ready", please ask for assistance.