In this section you will enroll a macOS device into AirWatch. Enrollment is the action that brings a device under management and control by AirWatch. There are a number of ways to enroll the various platforms (macOS included), but for this lab we cover just a basic enrollment scenario.
1. Download the AirWatch Agent
In this exercise, you will enroll using the AirWatch Agent to begin the staging process.
1.1. Login to the Mac - IF NEEDED
If you are prompted to login to the Mac, enter the username "administrator" and the password "VMware1!".
1.2. Open the Safari Browser on the MacBook
Click on the Safari icon (blue compass) to open the Safari browser
1.3. Download the AirWatch Agent
- Type "https://awagent.com" in the URL field and hit enter.
- Click on the button Download to download the MDM Agent. The download will be saved to your downloads folder by default.
2. Install the AirWatch Agent
In these steps you'll install the AirWatch Agent on the macOS device so that you can later begin the Enrollment process.
2.1. Launch the AirWatch Agent Installer
- Click on the Downloads folder in the dock (next to the Trash Bin).
- Click the AirWatchAgent.dmg file to begin the installer.
2.2. Launch the AirWatch Agent Installer Package
Double-click the VMware AirWatch Agent.pkg file to start the install.
2.3. Continue and Agree to Terms
- In the Installer, click Continue > Continue
- Click Agree (to the license terms)
2.4. Provide Credentials for the Installer
- Click Install.
You will now be prompted to enter the computers administrator credentials.
- Enter "administrator" in the Name field.
- Enter "VMware1!" in the Password field.
- Click the Install Software button.
2.5. Close and Move to Trash
- Click Close when the installer finishes.
- Click Move to Trash to move the installer to the trash.
3. Enroll the macOS Device
In these next steps you'll enroll the macOS device, bringing it under control and management by AirWatch.
3.1. Begin macOS Enrollment Process
The Enrollment Wizard should start automatically. From within the Enrollment wizard window, click Server Detail.
NOTE - The Enrollment Wizard may take several minutes to launch. If you do not see the Enrollment Wizard immediately, please be patient and wait for it to appear.
3.2. Find your Group ID from AirWatch Console
- To find the Group ID, hover your mouse over the Organization Group tab at the top of the screen. Look for the email address you used to log in to the lab portal.
- Your Group ID is displayed at the bottom of the Organization Group pop up.
NOTE - The Group ID is required when enrolling your device in the following steps.
3.3. Enter Enrollment Server Details
- Enter your Hands-On Lab URL "hol.awmdm.com".
- Enter your Group ID. This was described in the "Finding your Group ID" section.
- Click on the Continue button.
3.4. Enter Enrollment Credentials
- Enter the staging enrollment username "testuser" in username field.
- Enter the enrollment user password "VMware1!" in the password field.
- Click on the Continue button.
3.5. Enable Device Management
Click Enable to enable device management.
3.6. Enter Administrative Credentials for Profile Install
- When prompted, enter the password "VMware1!" for your user account on the Mac.
- Click on the OK button.
3.7. Quit the Enrollment Wizard
Click Quit when the installation completes.
4. Enable Location Services
In these next few steps we'll enable location services on macOS so that the device can report its location to AirWatch.
4.1. Open Location Services
If the location services are not already enabled (under System Preferences > Security & Privacy), the AirWatch Agent should prompt you to enable them.
Click OK to allow the AirWatch Agent to display the Settings pane for Location Services
4.2. Enable Location Services
- Click the lock to Unlock the preference pane.
- Enter the password for the administrator account "VMware1!"
- Click Unlock.
- Check the box for Enable Location Services.
- Check the box for airwatchd to grant the AirWatch Agent access to Location Services.
- Click the red Close button.
5. Validate Mac Enrollment
Follow the next steps to see how to verify that the Mac has been successfully enrolled.
5.1. Validate Mac Enrollment
In top right corner,
- Note the shield icon in the menu bar. Click the icon.
- Note the menu shows your device as Enrolled.
- Click Preferences and review the options available to you in the agent.
6. Key Takeaways
- Agent-based macOS enrollment is streamlined and intuitive.
- AirWatch supports a number of enrollment methods for macOS devices: web-based, agent-based, staged (pre-installed agent), enrollment on-behalf, and enrollment via the Apple Device Enrollment Program.
- Agent logs can be collected directly from the AirWatch Agent. This eases helpdesk troubleshooting by allowing end-user to quickly send diagnostic information to helpdesk and/or administrative users.