In this section we'll cover a basic introduction to AirWatch School Manager and it's requirements.
1. What is AirWatch School Manager
AirWatch School Manager is designed to let organizations leverage Apple's Classroom application in organizations that are not eligible for Apple School Manager.
AirWatch School Manager requires the following software and hardware:
- AirWatch version 8.4 Feature Pack 4 or greater.
- Apple devices running iOS 9.3 or greater.
- All Devices must be supervised.
- All Devices must have beacon capabilities.
- AirWatch School Manager utilizes the Apple Classroom application.
- Apple Push Notification Services must be configured in your AirWatch environment and allowed on your network/firewall/etc.
NOTE - If your iOS Devices do not meet the above requirements, you will not be able to complete this entire module!
3. Optional Functionality
While not required, the following optional 3rd-party software features can augment the functionality of AirWatch School Manager. These 3rd-party features can help streamline your classroom setup and configuration:
- Apple's Device Enrollment Program.
- Apple's Volume Purchase Program.
- Student Images.
- LDAP / AD (with User Groups).
4. Differences from Apple Education
While employing similar concepts and functionality, AirWatch School Manager has a few differences from Apple Education.
- Apple School Manager is not required. AirWatch School Manager can therefore be leveraged in countries where Apple School Manager is not available. It also means AirWatch School Manager can be leveraged by entities (such as businesses) which are not eligible to enroll in Apple School Manager.
- Managed Apple IDs are not required. AirWatch School Manager does not require Managed Apple IDs which can only be created via Apple School Manager. This means you can create a class device without the need for any Apple ID (if you leverage Device-Based Licensing via the Apple Volume Purchase Program).
- AirWatch School Manager does not require 32GB+ iPads. This makes AirWatch School Manager work with a greater number of devices, including older 16GB iPads.
5. Typical Uses for AirWatch School Manager
AirWatch School Manager is designed to let organizations leverage Apple's Classroom application in organizations that are not eligible for Apple School Manager. Some typical use cases are as follows:
- Educational institutions (such as daycares or continuing/career-oriented educators) which may not be eligible for Apple School Manager.
- Businesses with formalized onboarding/training programs that wish to leverage a digital classroom.
- School systems that ARE eligible for Apple School Manager but with a significant fleet of devices that do not meet the minimum requirements (e.g. 32GB) to use Apple School Manager.
- Organizations using AirWatch Teach/Learn applications looking to migrate to Apple's Classroom app.